-- WATCHCOUNT.COM NEWSLETTER --
-- Issue #006 : September, 2009 --
- How many people are secretly watching your favorite eBay items?
We hope your summer has been as nice as ours (if you're also here in the northern hemisphere). We've had a lot happening here at WatchCount.com since our last mailing. While we can't fit all the news into this 1 email, most of the important events and chatter are below, followed by the usual interesting newsletter tidbits.
Thanks for reading.
-- Site News --
(*) NEW LOGO!
- We finally sat down and had a new logo for WatchCount.com drawn up. It was time to both spice things up and smooth things out a bit - and add another dimension to the header graphic that you can see at the top of every WatchCount.com page. We've been politely nudged by our friends for a while now to transition off the old logo, and we're glad we finally made it happen.
You might be surprised to learn that WatchCount.com is actually not a giant, multinational corporation with its own sprawling in-house creative design department. As such, we're grateful to CoolText.com for providing their free graphic design services (for years now) to help small businesses like us. http://WatchCount.com/news-archive.php#WCC-logo-v3
How do you feel about our new logo? Please share your thoughts on our Global Conversations thread: http://WatchCount.com/go/?link=GCWCC
(*) WIDGET UPDATE
- If you've been selling on eBay for any length of time, you've probably experienced some bumps in the road when eBay announces a change of some kind to its site and/or policies. Lesser known is that 3rd-party developers like ourselves are also subject to shifts on the eBay platform, and unfortunately a minor change recently negatively impacted the performance of the WatchCount.com Widget. In a nutshell, the Widget can continue being helpful for a number of our sellers; it just now automatically hides itself until a certain "popularity threshold" of the item is reached. If you're using our Widget, please have a look at our News page for an update: http://WatchCount.com/news-archive.php#Widget-1.0-reversion
(*) ITEM LOOKUP
- We're happy to now offer a new, much-requested feature on WatchCount.com: Item Lookup (ILU) shows you a collection of eBay listing details to assist with your specific-item research endeavors. ILU shows a number of standard specs (such as title, seller, current price, etc.), but also some data that may be harder to find on eBay's View Item page, such as item quantity sold/available, category ID, or exact end time. Of course, we'll try to include the current Watch Count in ILU search results as well. (However some such details, like how many watchers or viewers the item has accrued, may be unavailable to us, pursuant to privacy thresholds in place by either eBay or the individual seller.)
To access Item Lookup simply go to our main search page and paste the eBay item number into the Keywords box and click the "Show Me..." button.
(*) MISSPELLED ITEMS
- Items with misspelled titles appear daily on eBay and offer opportunities to snag unexpected bargains, whether for profit or for raw shopping excitement. We're pleased to now offer a misspellings search option at WatchCount.com, located on a page unto itself
. This search feature is extremely simple to use, and while it's not directly in line with the prevailing themes of WatchCount.com, we feel many of our regular visitors may find it a helpful service in the course of their eBay shopping activities.
Our misspelling search functionality is powered by one of our partners, FatFingers.com
. They were actually the ones who first innovated eBay misspelled items searching, creating it, then bringing it into public use years ago (then leading to some copycat sites springing up afterwards). Check it out: http://WatchCount.com/misspelled.php
-- WatchCount.com Tips --
We currently support many eBay country-sites, with more gradually added in response to visitor demand. While WatchCount.com is currently (regrettably) only in English, know that all search results are localized to the relevant country.
Make or reply to publicly-viewable comments on our Global Conversations thread
. Just login with an account you already have: Google, AIM, Yahoo!, and a few others. You can also easily start your own conversations and share with friends. http://WatchCount.com/go/?link=GCWCC
-- Visitor Q&A --
Dennis asks us: "Does your widget work on Auctiva listings? If so, how do I go about applying it?"
Yes, it should work on Auctiva-managed listings, just as well as it would work on a self-listed item. Simply include the Widget HTML snippet within your listing description as part of the rest of the HTML. That's it!
-- Hidden eBay Niche --
Do you gamble? Many people do, whether for fun, for profit, or even professionally. Check out this "cute" little market on eBay that flaunts poker chips for sale
— of all different flavors, colors, and degrees of collector allure: http://WatchCount.com/?ec=eus2304#serp
-- What are Others Searching For? --
A popularly searched term on WatchCount.com is 'antique'. This might be used alone, or coupled with another term. Some popular pairings we've seen are: 'antique purse', 'antique 18th', and 'antique leather chair'. Of course, several of the eBay country-sites have an entire category tree devoted to antiques.
Likewise, 'vintage' appears a bunch in our search logs (again, often leading a more specific term). We've noticed 'vintage dress' as a particular standout amongst other specific vintage items.
You can, of course, try the specific searches above, or more broadly, here are the top-watched antiques and vintage items on eBay.com:
'antiques' as a keyword search (across all categories):
'vintage' broad keyword search:
-- What's Most Watched Right Now? --
Having run WatchCount.com for nearly 2 years now, I've seen a lot of Watch Count figures for many eBay items. If I see the number of watchers on an auction-style item surpass 100, or even just 50+, I consider it admirable. And so, when I come across items with over 300 watchers, I'm seriously impressed!
I'm perpetually surprised at how easily vehicles are traded on eBay. Seeing cars with triple-digit Watch Counts still wows me. Here's a Lamborghini currently topping the eBay Motors site
with 400+ watchers:
Thanks for reading, and we'll see you again next issue.
PS Follow us on Twitter! We'll let you know about funky/funny/wild/interesting/strange eBay items that everyone's got their eyes on: http://Twitter.com/WatchCount
PPS Remember to visit www.WatchCount.com
each time you sit down to begin your next eBay shopping or selling session. :-)
Don't Miss Out!
Thank you for subscribing!
Please be sure to add Newsletter [~AT~] WatchCount [~DOT~] com to your email address book or trusted senders list so our emails don't accidentally end up in your bulk mail folder. Thanks!
Friends Telling Friends
Please forward this newsletter to a friend if they spend any time on eBay. Both buyers and sellers benefit from discovering Most Watched eBay items.
Did you get this email forwarded from a friend? Get your own copy of our low-volume newsletter here: http://WatchCount.com/newsletter.php
Feel free to contact us with any questions/comments/concerns you may have. We welcome your feedback - how can we improve our site? You can reach us via our Contact Us page here: http://WatchCount.com/contact.php
You can also interact with other WatchCount.com visitors on our Global Conversations thread
Find our newsletter back issues here: http://WatchCount.com/newsletter-archive.php
Change of Address?
To update your email address, please click the link at the bottom of this email.
Time to Leave?
While we hope you enjoy receiving our occasional mailings, you may discontinue your subscription to this newsletter at any time. To do so, simply click on the link at the bottom of this email. If you have any other questions or concerns, please use the Contact Us link mentioned earlier.
Just So You Know...
We never send this newsletter unsolicited. You are receiving it because you subscribed to it on our website.
You must get our permission before reprinting this newsletter anywhere. To do so, please contact us via the Contact Us link above.
Copyright (c) WatchCount.com - All rights reserved.
What is WatchCount.com?
offers a collection of helpful tools and services for eBayers, including unique marketplace search capabilities unavailable on the eBay site
. Sellers can avail themselves of automatic listing enhancements, while both buyers and sellers find it helpful to lookup Most Watched eBay items
in real-time to better help them frame their buying and selling activities on eBay. An official eBay Compatible Application, WatchCount.com is certified by eBay
for use with the eBay platform.
- What's the most popular ____ on eBay